Understanding your pregnancy, labour, birth and your baby
What is this group?
This is a friendly relaxed group where you can take time out of your busy life to stop and think about your feelings and how you can cope with your pregnancy, labour and the birth of your baby, what support you need and the practical things you that will be helpful to you, such as pain relief, positions in labour and caring for your baby when they are born.
Who would find the group interesting?
Mothers, fathers, partners, and family or friends who will be supporting you.
What will the group include?
- Information about different types of labour positions and pain relief.
- Activities and time to think and talk about what support you need during the pregnancy and labour and giving birth.
- A DVD about baby’s emotional brain development and how babies communicate with you before and after they are born.
- Information about feeding your baby when they arrive, how to respond to your baby’s needs, and advice about sudden infant death (SIDS).
- There is a session about holding your baby, changing their nappy and bathing your baby.
- Information about feelings, some mothers may experience after the birth such as baby blues and postnatal depression.
The group will run for 5 weeks every Tuesday and Thursday from 1-3pm at Springfield Children’s Centre, Springfield Road Moseley B13 9NY and St Paul’s Children’s Centre, 10 Malvern Street, Balsall Heath, B12 8NN.
For more information or to book a place, please contact Hasmita Kundalia (available Mon, Wed, Thurs and Fri 9am-5pm) 07701 303 921 or Rukhsana Rahman (available Tues, Wed and Fri 9am-5 pm) 07958 206120. Or call Springfield Children’s Centre on 0121 772 2722.
This is a Springfield Children’s Centre activity for families in the Hall Green District. If you are not sure, please call us on 0121 777 2722 to check you are in our catchment area, and if not we will be happy to put you in contact with the Children’s Centre for your area.
Photo by Fadime Erbass